No one likes sweating—not only does it smell funny, but it can also make you feel uncomfortable in your own clothing. Some women and men are affected by this condition even more than others, sometimes to the point that they have to change their T-shirts several times per day. So, if you’re in this situation where your antiperspirant is no longer holding up your sweat flow, then you might have just made peace with carrying your entire wardrobe with you. But why should you? At Artistry Skin & Laser, we can help!
This condition of excessive sweating that you are dealing with is called hyperhidrosis, but the good news is that it can be treated. Indeed, there is no permanent cure for it, but the right treatment can keep it under control. The most common treatment for this is BOTOX® and in this blog, you can learn more about hyperhidrosis and the best methods to treat it.
What Is Hyperhidrosis?
Hyperhidrosis is a condition that affects about 4.8 percent of people in the United States. It happens when your nerves cause your sweat glands to begin working overtime. There is no apparent reason for it, although risk factors can include genetics, diet, emotional stress, and obviously, high temperatures.
Hyperhidrosis can cause sweat to appear in different areas of your body, such as your armpits, palms, feet, chest, face, and groin. The condition is not necessarily bad for your health, but it may cause embarrassment and distress in social situations.
How to Treat Hyperhidrosis
To treat hyperhidrosis, you need to find a way to stop your sweat glands from working excessively. If antiperspirants are no longer doing anything for you, then these common methods may help to put a stop to your hyperhidrosis.
1) Oral Medication
Before trying anything else, some doctors will usually try to control the condition using oral medication. Anticholinergic drugs are used for their internal antiperspirant effect, usually used together with an external antiperspirant. If hyperhidrosis is rooted in a condition like anxiety, then antidepressants may also be used to control the condition.
Through Iontophoresis, the doctor will pass weak electrical currents through your skin. This will cause your sweat glands to become smaller, blocking them over time. This treatment may have to be repeated up to three times per week for you to obtain your desired results.
3) Botulinum Toxin Injections
Botulinum toxin injections such as BOTOX® can help control your hyperhidrosis condition for a longer time. Since the effects of BOTOX® last between three and six months, this procedure requires less maintenance than other treatment options. Once injected, the BOTOX® solution will block the signals going to your sweat glands, reducing their activity. An average of 81 percent of people received better results in sweat reduction with BOTOX® compared to those who opted for other types of treatments.
Why Use BOTOX® for Hyperhidrosis?
There are several reasons why BOTOX® is the more convenient solution for hyperhidrosis. Some of the most important reasons are:
- Versatility: Many hyperhidrosis treatments only work on specific areas. BOTOX® can be injected where needed, making it highly versatile.
- Fewer Side Effects: Certain hyperhidrosis medicine can cause side effects such as skin irritation or even an ill sensation. BOTOX® has fewer side effects, making it a safer alternative.
- Fast Acting: The majority of hyperhidrosis treatments may take days for you to see significant sweat reduction. However, with BOTOX®, the effect is nearly immediate.
- No Downtime: Some providers may advise you to avoid hot showers and exercise for the day after certain treatments, but BOTOX® injections do not require any downtime. They are virtually painless, and you will feel no more than the prick of a small needle.
- Longer Effect: BOTOX® does need maintenance every few months, but compared to other hyperhidrosis treatments, the effect is longer lasting. With BOTOX®, you can go on that long summer vacation without worrying about excessive sweating.
Keep in mind that treating hyperhidrosis using BOTOX® requires special training. The injections should not be applied too deep, otherwise, they may not be as effective. At Artistry Skin & Laser, we can help you with our expertise.
Reduce Hyperhidrosis With Our BOTOX® Treatment
Hyperhidrosis is no fun and can make you want to avoid social interactions. The good news is that with the right treatment, hyperhidrosis may no longer be able to control your life. Give us a call and schedule a BOTOX® treatment to get a handle on your hyperhidrosis. Our experienced medical providers are happy to assist you in having a sweat-free life if you are the right candidate.
For more information about hyperhidrosis and how BOTOX® injections can help, give Artistry Skin & Laser a call at 720-592-1816. You can also use our contact form to ask more questions about our treatments.